Thursday, April 15, 2010

THURSDAY

I took a shot of this first rock rose at a home over by Arizona Street at Garrison Lake. There were a lot of blooms but this was the first I saw open. A few rain drops only added to it, I think. It looks like crushed voile. Since I've been looking at various sheers for a change in some of the rooms at home, I must have had that in mind as I looked at this little flower. When we lived in Grass Valley the summers were very hot. One particular area just wouldn't grow anything because of the heat and poor soil there. Someone told me that rock rose was a heat lover so I got some and planted about 3 or 4 small bushes. I really did think it would be a very short growing season for these poor little plants. Instead, they just exploded!! I probably could have sat watching them and marked the amazingly rapid growth. By the end of that summer they were full and covered with blooms and filling in that whole problem area. So....I though they'd do great up here with a lot of water but still in a sunny place. No......they grow, but not well. The soil I planted them in is sure problem enough. One of the builders of this house decided that he could use the topsoil over at his own house, so just carted the good stuff off from here and used it in his gardens. Guess this problem area has a little too much problem even for the sturdy rock rose.

This second shot is another one of Garrison Creek. I'm not sure if that's even the correct name for it. If anyone knows differently, please let me know. It's another favorite area of mine. Like Garrison Lake.....always new and changing.
Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment